Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Six Million Dollar Bionic Speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Six Million Dollar Bionic Speakers

    I did an ebay search today for Altec 416 and this result came up--almost $1200 for a woofer!

    Altec 416-8B | Kilimanjaro-Series A416WVL | NEW NEU - eBay (item 260579855608 end time May-03-10 05:47:37 PDT)

    Has anyone seen these? Is this a gimmick? I find it hard to believe they're worth anywhere near the price especially since they are not "time tested" like the Vintage Altec/GPA technology that keeps going and going and going and still sounds amazing..... I don't see much in the way of specs on his listing either--but there is plenty of trash talk about vintage speakers in general. I went to their website and under "NEWS" they have this listed
    "News
    2010-04-02
    VOTT equipped with field-coil speakers ready for demonstration. Stunning."
    Field-Coil Speaker(s) | Kilimanjaro-Series | Wolf von Langa
    There are photos of VOTT style speaker systems on the website. Do they even have the legal right to call these things VOTT? At $1200 per woofer they better include a date with the Six Million Dollar Bionic Woman!

    P.S. According to the ebay listing on these woofers " The price is only for this time limited promotion." Ummm, what will they cost after this promotion? Gulp......

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Six Million Dollar Bionic Speakers

    I assume the field coil motors are essentially hand made.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member lowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Six Million Dollar Bionic Speakers

    I saw these a while ago. I got the impression he starts with a GPA driver and as Audio_by_Goodwill suggests, hand makes the field coil motors.

    I'd have no reason to doubt they sound impressive. (Out of my price range though.)

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Six Million Dollar Bionic Speakers


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Six Million Dollar Bionic Speakers

    I saw those awhile back too I think they are Made In Germany.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Six Million Dollar Bionic Speakers

    They can keep dreaming and yipping all they want....

    I will put my "old worn out" 30+ year old VOTT's (all original) up against his anytime.
    I'm not scared.
    :snickerpup:

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Six Million Dollar Bionic Speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post

    I will put my "old worn out" 30+ year old VOTT's (all original) up against his anytime.
    I'm not scared.
    :snickerpup:
    I agree! (Model 19's/Valencias in my case)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.